Saturday, September 17, 2011

September 17, 2011

In class this week we watched two videos. The first video we watched was from the TED talk: Simon Sinek: How great leaders inspire action. Points that I appreciated from the video was the comment he made about the difference between leaders vs. those who lead and how leaders hold a position of power but those we lead have people follow them out of will. He brought up the point of focusing on "why?". Why do you do what you do? Not just how or what you do. In class we discussed "why do you want to become a teacher?". Honestly, I do not want to become a teacher but I respect the profession. I am going for my Bachelor of Science in Nursing but have considered one day perhaps teaching nursing like the instructors at the college. I will relate this point of "why?" to why I want to become a nurse. I want to become a nurse because I feel I have the compassion, intelligence and I just know it is the career for me. I have a caring personality and I feel it is right. The image to the left was found on www.google.ca/images.

The second video we watched in class was the video: Allison Cameron which was from a news program. Previous to the video we discussed being a wise consumer of information about educational psychology. It is important to be cautious, avoid conclusions, recognize how easy it is to overgeneralize about a small or clinical sample, be aware of single studies, consider the source of information, and evaluate credibility. The video was focused on exercise and how it helps students learn and improve in school. Using the points discussed above, we know that this was a small sample size between the two schools they had talked about and it is easy to overgeneralize for a greater population base. Also, it may not be the case for everyone to "improve" after exercising- perhaps some students get more tired- avoid drawing conclusions about individuals needs based on group research. This could be an effective input for that specific class but maybe not every class or every student. I also consider the effects of the camera being there and interviewing the students- could this have influenced their behavior and attitudes towards the study? I also consider the point- is this a problem with our physical education programs and if it is necessary to add more cardio activity in the programs. As from personal experience, there were many hours spent "playing" dodgeball in my gym class (where most kids who did not want to play would either stand out of the way or try and get hit first so they could sit down). Either way, what I learned from this lecture is that is is important to be a wise consumer of information. I personally love exercise and particularly sports and I believe it makes me more disciplined and organized with my time. I believe sports have taught me many lessons and that I need to be focused on my school and organize my time since I have a busy schedule. The image on the left is was found on http://www.rdc.ab.ca/athletics/videos_photos/Pages/Photos.aspx and the image on the right was found on www.google.ca/images

No comments: