Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday September 13, 2011

First official post and already a week into classes! Wow!
Yesterday in class we went over our first 'real' lecture. We went over effective teaching and during class there was a discussion about diversity and experiences individuals have had in the school system. It was an interesting conversation and I thought it tied in with the first t
wo points of effective teaching quite well from the lecture of "1. teaching involves social and ethical matters 2. teaching involves multicultural students". The conversation displayed how these two points are tied. The other point I particularly was interested in was commitment and the importance of being present in the moment. I feel there are times when I am wishing for the weekend for a trip or worried about something in the past. I found this quote on http://www.essentiallifeskills.net/liveinthemomentquotes.html:


"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese Proverb


I liked this quote because it deals with getting started-just like getting started assignments at this time of the year can be hard with just coming off summer break. It ties to living in the present even though mistakes may have be
en made in the past and not waiting for tomorrow to start.

A situation where I have personally witnessed effective teaching is through a basketball coach of mine. I have played basketball since grade five and this is my fourth year of playing basketball at the college level so I have had many coaches. This one coach I have had stood out for me significantly. This coach demonstrated many aspects from the list of professional skills. The coach was very good at motivating the team in a positive manner. The coach also was very skilled at communicating with athletes by ensuring she was paying attention to the athletes and listening to them. Not only did this coach have goals for the team but the coach strived to have the athletes set goals as well. This coach was always well prepared for practice and had great management and this helped the flow of practice and ensured we covered everything we needed to.

By reflecting upon this ex
ample of teaching in action I recognize many points of effective teaching that this coach demonstrated on a continual basis. The image below I believe demonstrates different approaches to instructional strategies. Not all children may be able to understand something that is just spoken to them but having it in a visual form may be more beneficial.

This image was found on http://www.google.ca/images

My interest is to learn more about the classroom management point of effective teaching. In high school I did work experience with grade seven boys/girls gym class as a assistant and a grade nine boys gym class and I found this aspect more challenging.

No comments: