Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Today in class we watched a video: Digital Nation. It discussed technology and education. My learning has been shaped by technology, for example one of my classes I am taking has online classes. It is different having class online and I am unsure if I like it or not yet. I like how I can be at home and have a load of laundry going at the same time as I am watching the powerpoint slideshow, but I do also find it more distracting and lacks that social aspect. In school, we did not have personal laptops but had computer class and typing class where we learned about programs on the computer.

I have noticed more in recent years that technology is more evident in society. Everyone I know has a smart phone and use their phones a lot. Also I find the way I interact and keep in touch with others is different because of social networking. It is easier to keep in touch but less personal.

I think technology is beneficial to have in schools because culture of today's society is not the same as even it was ten years ago. I think it should be done in moderation though by making sure there are writing and typing components, powerpoints and drawn posters. I believe I find classes more interesting that have forms of technology being used. I had one class where the teacher just wrote his notes (very messy) on the board and there were no powerpoints, etc. Therefore, I believe technology is beneficial for today's students.

No comments: